A step in another direction

Did I bit off more than I could chew? I’ll let you decide.

This is one of the blogs I follow. Recently there was a call for pattern testers. I decided I’d give it a try – even though this would be dthe first time I’e followed a pattern!

Firstly, I made a mistake, but it wasn’t the fault of the pattern!

IMG_4988

I wanted to use some of my own hand-dyed yarn. There is very little in my shop at the moment, but I have an enormous stash to list of mostly cotton embroidery yarns. The one I chose, however, although recommended for knitting was impossible to crochet. Made from 10 very fine, loose strands I found it just kept getting tangled in the hook. It was fine for the first part of the pattern (which is fun to do, by the way), but became too awkward once I attempted the next stage.

As a consequence I had to resort to my stash of Stylecraft yarn which I knew would work with the hook.

Well, this time it was easy! The resulting flower motif is a delight and I’ll be using it again. You can see more about the tests here, and this is where you will find the ridiculously cheap pattern. I’ll be making the block again – I have something in mind, but first I have two blankets to finish! More about that tomorrow.

A field of sunflowers

020

I’m briefly returning to the Sunflower Throw. The above photograph shows the colours in more detail than I have been able to previously display. I have documented the yarn and colour sequence and you can find it here if you are interested. There is no pattern as such – I followed the instructions in a YouTube video.

Below is a photograph showing the final edging. It was a shell pattern – 8 tr crochet (UK) worked into one dc (UK)

IMG_5175

Progress and a question

The one thing about a corner to corner blanket is that it does move quickly! Well, it moves quickly if you can sit and hook a few rows, that is. The last two evenings have been ideal for slowly doing a few more rows. I’ve hurt my foot! I have to rest it, don’t I? 😉

So first, here is a picture of the progress..

IMG_5153
If you compare it to the picture I showed you yesterday you can see the progression. I think I’ll assess the situation after another 15 rows or so. That will probably bring me to the halfway point – although the jury is still out on the dimensions.

Next the question:

Would you be interested in knowing the colours and the sequence of rows? I’m making a note for my own purposes, but will publish it once it’s finished if there is any interest. Please leave a comment below – even if it’s only ‘No thanks’. 🙂

Watching the colours change

IMG_5105

I find it very difficult to photograph the shape of the ‘in progress’ c2c. Folding it helps, and the above means that you can see the work in progress – and the starting corner. I always find it interesting to see how colours mix and match – and change according to the one that precedes or follows. I’m almost at the point where I have to decide whether to keep going and make the square larger – or only extend in one direction. The decision will probably come tomorrow.

On we go

I managed a little longer than expected yesterday evening, so another couple of colours were added

IMG_5103

I think I’ll probably stop there as far as colours are concerned. This is what it looks like so far:

IMG_5104

I need to go and buy another ball of the yellow. I wasn’t sure if it would work – but actually it lifts the whole thing. It’s a good contrast to the Violet. Hoping for some more time this evening.