Temperature update

August has been a busy month. I’ve managed to keep up with some crochet every day, but sometimes all I could manage was a square for the temperature blanket. The last one for this month will be made later today, but in the meantime – here is the collection for the first 25 days.

Ends to be wound in too, as you can see. However – it’s been a bit of a mix of temperatures. The blue are cooler – some quite a lot cooler – than the yellows and oranges. We did manage a couple of reds, but that was in the last couple of days.

This block is the last of the summer blocks. That makes 9 complete, so I think I can start putting them together. Only three more blocks to go – September, October and November. All autumn months! I wonder what the weather has in store?

 

This is fun

It’s surprising what a random choice of colours will produce. The Spirit blankets are all based around the daily temperatures of each month, and in previous months their position has been determined by Theo ‘appearance’. This month I’ve chosen a different way to work. I won’t give you too many details at the moment, but I’m enjoying the process 


Each additional round is presenting a new idea 

And I have a suspicion that I’ll return to this mix and use it in the future 


But that’s all I’ll show you today, and in truth it gives no indication of the finished square. 

It’s what you might call … 

‘A teaser’ !!!

Hope it’s cool enough to crochet where you are. It’s a little warm here. 

Do not read this post without sunglasses

You may remember that I ran out of Parma Violet, well today I’ve managed to locate some – so I’ll soon be back on track. In the meantime I’ve pressed on with both the Spirit and Temperature blankets.

The first 15 days of April were certainly colourful! I didn’t expect that bright splash of Yellow, or Orange! I think they look rather good sitting amongst the blues and greens of the other days.

Rather than leave the Spirit of April alone gathering dust I moved on to other sequences. I’ve enjoyed watching the progression of colours, but this time I moved on to a very garish combination. You were warned about the sunglasses!

They are certainly bright! In fact they look even brighter when placed with some of the more subdued squares already completed…

but they won’t look out of place when all the sequences are together.

This sequence too is finished – and it’s a little more subtle 😉

Tonight I’ll continue with this,

although it won’t be finished until tomorrow. Then I’ll get back to the one that’s waiting in the wings. Hopefully that will be finished before the end of the week. I had another surprising colour in the temperature this week – so who knows where we will actually end up this month? I’m enjoying the ride and unpredictability.

That’s one thing about British weather – it’s never boring, even if it has that reputation 😉

 

 

Can you have…..

…… too much of a good thing?

I’m still working on the Spirit of February blanket, and I wanted to do something different for the one for Spirit of March. So, guess what?

The first four small squares are complete – but until the temperatures change I’ll be stuck here for a little longer.

Better press on with February, then!

(Will update you on the Rainbow blanket with a list of colours in a couple of days.)s

Working with rainbows

There’s nothing like a rainbow to cheer, so I have really enjoyed working on this project. It could have been finished last month, but other things got in the way. Last night, however, the blanket was finished – except for the border. This morning, in daylight, I’ve chosen the colours for this, so it should be finished in a couple of days all being well.

img_9905

It would be lovely to be able to spend all day with a hook in hand, wouldn’t it! However…… other things are calling me today. It will be good to finish a few things during National Crochet Month. I wonder….. 😉

Save

Play with a purpose – The Posy Square

All you need is a ball of yarn and a hook!

I’ve been playing around with a few odd balls of scrap yarn. Some were so small they really qualified as ‘lengths’ rather than ‘balls’. However, the object was to make a circle in a squaare – as easily as possible!

Now I don’t  expect that this is an original method, but it works. (If anyone knows another source please let me know)

img_9806

Twelve UK trebles into a magic circle to start. The second round is just two UK trebles into each gap between those of the previous round. Round three begins the conversion into a Granny Square, counting in threes, which can hopefully be seen in the above picture.

img_9808

After this round it looks a little wonky. Don’t worry, it sorts itself.

img_9809

Another round of treble blocks and the Granny Square is complete. Now, it really does look wonky, but….

Just a gentle pull from left to right – and another from top to bottom and…..

img_9810

All ready for blocking.

ed54fc82-a059-4345-8bdf-19dfad2e6ca1

 I’m calling it the Posy Square.